©2011-2013 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

The Gulf Cockle

Posted by Jody on November 1, 2012

The Gulf Cockle (Gulf of California)

The Gulf Cockle (Trachycardium panamense) is a beautiful, sturdy seashell found on beaches from the Gulf of California to Central America.

This heavy seashell is fairly easy to identify with its 20 +/- broad, strong, triangular radiating ribs and rather well-rounded  shape. On the scalloped posterior edge of the shell, the ridges end in a sawtooth fashion. The exterior of this solid seashell is whitish in color, while the inside of the Gulf Cockle is somewhat smooth and white. Our specimens show a beautiful, purple-pink shading on the “teeth” side of the interior.

The hefty Gulf Cockle lives near the surface in sand or sandy mud in shallow water. This Pacific beauty can grow up to 4 inches in diameter.

Gulf Cockle (interior)

About 200 species of cockles (family Cardiidae) are found worldwide. Strong and compact, this family of clams is heart-shaped when viewed from the side (with both valves intact).

We rate the Gulf Cockle: ♥♥♥♥♥

Gulf Cockle (Gulf of California)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About these ads

12 Responses to “The Gulf Cockle”

1. Love your shell post. Thanks so much for visiting my site. Hope you’ll come back often. :)

Thank you! We certainly love beaches, and we’re all nuts about beachcombing! :-)

• I like rocks, too. I gave away my collection when I left the classroom to another 4th grade teacher. I just love the different shapes and colors, some worn smooth, some sharp and jagged. mmmmm rocks!

Yay! My daughter and her husband are both geologists. I think we just like having any excuse to be out in the sand or dirt. It follows that rocks on the beach are the very best kind. :-)

Brilliant photography and description. Thanks Jody

3. Grace said

A beauty indeed….and your photography is awesome! I think I also saw something similar to this in tropical waters (i.e. Philippine waters). :-)

4. Word (((HUGS))) said

I used to have a Facebook page called Sandra’s Seashells on the Moon. My motto was: Hidden within every experience are gifts waiting to be uncovered. Like seashells embedded in sand, you have to seek them out. Your page is a hidden gift that I’m glad I found.

5. seapunk2 said

I share your rating. It’s very beautiful.