©2011-2014 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

Friday Fun: Seashell Pancake Art!

Posted by alainaflute on November 2, 2012

Inspired by an idea she saw in Real Simple, my mom (Jody) got to work scheming up ideas for seashell pancake designs, and today, we finally got around to making them! The article, which showed how you can make edible autumn leaves out of pancake batter, suggested one use a turkey baster to do the drawing. We found plastic squeeze bottles to be an easier alternative because they offer more control.

Let’s make seashell pancakes!

For our template, we used some shell pictures from my mom’s field guide and some simple shell designs she printed off of the internet, including a sand dollar, scallop, and sea star.

To begin, we made a simple pancake batter from scratch (or you can use a boxed mix). Then, we made it slightly thinner by adding almost 1/2 cup water (so it would be squeezable). We heated our griddle to about 375°F (190°C) and added a thin layer of canola oil to prevent sticking.

To make the pancakes, we started by squeezing the outside of the design onto the griddle, along with any markings we wanted to show up when we flipped them. Patience is the real trick here. You want your outlines to show, so they must be significantly darker than the rest of the pancake. Wait for 3-5 minutes or so before squeezing in the rest of the batter (filling in your outlines). Flip and admire your artwork!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Start with simple designs, such as the moon snail, sand dollar, and sea star, and then work your way up to the more intricate whelks, murexes, and conchs.

The sea’s the limit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About these ads

40 Responses to “Friday Fun: Seashell Pancake Art!”

1. Liz said

brilliant idea. Bet they tasted nice as well.

2. Liz said

Reblogged this on My Devon and commented:
    What a great idea and tasty too. Maybe I should sugeest it for a category in next years garden and craft show.

3. Jody said

Please pass the syrup! :-)

4. Joycelyn said

I want to try this out this weekend :) very nice Jody!

5. Those came out great!

6. Very clever!

7. How creative!

8. Jody said

seapunk2 said
    November 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM e
    LOVE IT! Will you make a bunny one for me? Or a horse? How about a sea lion? Or an apple? When are you going to move here? :D :D :D

Jody said
    November 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM e
    Wouldn’t that be something? We wouldn’t get any work done! ~Just the fun stuff!

seapunk2 said
    November 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM e
    I know, I know. Fun is our middle name, just not on the birth certificate, eh?
    I still have to shovel manure and other fun stuff, though. But wait – we could train the horses together! I need an extra person for training to drive. (cart training)

Jody said
    November 4, 2012 at 8:38 AM e
    Again, fun stuff! :-) But could we train the horses to shovel their own manure?

seapunk2 said
    November 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM e
    Unfortunately, no. I’ve asked them to help with lots of things. They just ignore me. However, they do limit the places they drop their manure to along the fence line. Even they don’t want to walk in it. :D

9. Dustytoes said

I love this idea – and boy did they come out looking excellent! I will have to write about this on my seashell blog with a link to here, of course. Such fun!

10. Silving said

Cool!

11. Dustytoes said

Reblogged this on Seashells by Millhill and commented:
    I love this idea. Check out the pictures of her seashell pancakes.

12. What a nice idea! :)

13. bigkosydar said

i love the sand-dollar. the 3 pics in a row with a slight fade when going form one to the next is such a nice effect.

Hey there, long time no see! So glad you like the slide show. We thought it might be the best way to show everyone the progression. Thanks so much for stopping by!

14. New way to drive everyone crazy with my seashell obsession. Thank you!

15. Audrey said

Can I come for breakfast next time I’m visiting?

16. Creative idea!

17. […] Friday Fun: Seashell Pancake Art! (beachtreasuresandtreasurebeaches.com) […]

18. Jean Baldesarre said

Live at the beach would love to surprise my grandson.
    Maybe you just invented a baking mold think about it I would be the first one to buy it….
    Gonna try it….lol

19. […] Friday Fun: Seashell Pancake Art! (beachtreasuresandtreasurebeaches.com) […]