©2011-2014 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

Get Away Every Day! Do-It-Yourself Mini Zen Beach

Posted by Jody on November 8, 2012

Have you seen those fun little desktop zen gardens?  Well, here’s a do-it-yourself idea for us beach lovers: a desktop mini zen beach!

I actually looked for these little desktop beach kits online and considered buying one, but then realized that I’d rather personalize my own little zen beach.  It’s so easy and lots of fun to put one of these mini beach sets together.

Do-It-Yourself Desktop Zen Beach Accessories (Photo ©Jody Diehl)

For the base, I used an old picture frame with a 6×6 photo opening. Taking the backing off and removing the glass, I cut a piece of a vinyl placemat to size and glued it into the opening. I packed the cardboard squares back into the frame (behind the place mat) and secured the back with the same slip-proof matting. Since I used a blue placemat, I kept cutting and made some surf for the beach, too.

Use your imagination and personalize your own mini zen beach! Sterilized, decorative sand is available at your local craft store. I chose the color of the golden sands of Southern California’s coastline. You may decide on black for the famous black sand beaches of the Big Island, pink to remind you of that amazing trip to the Bahamas, or white sand for the pristine shores of Barbados.

Do-It-Yourself Mini Zen Beach with Sand Castle Christmas Ornament

A sand pail and shovel are the real key here. Little seashells on the beach are a must, in my book. The rest is up to your unlimited creativity.

I used my miniature seashells from Sanibel Island, Florida.  The little pieces of “sea glass” are oven baked, tiny plastic pellets used for “stained glass” Christmas ornaments and sun catchers. A button makes a great little umbrella stand. For mini beachy accessories, head to the toy department, the kids’ Barbie bins or their play room! Find what makes your own desktop beach “zen.”  I found the perfect beach themed doll set at a discount store (she looks just like me). From then on, it was a blast to set up these beach scenes!

Do-It-Yourself Desktop Zen Beach

Do-It-Yourself Desktop Zen Beach (She looks just like me!)

This desktop addition is sure to help you beat those Monday morning blues!  Have fun, change it up, and try to get some work done! ;-)

Now you can get away every day with your very own mini zen beach!

Please remember to share us with your friends! You can find us on Facebook at One Shell of a Find.  Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About these ads

21 Responses to “Get Away Every Day! Do-It-Yourself Mini Zen Beach”

1. Lynn said

I just love this! As much as I love the beach and all it has to offer, I can’t believe I never thought of this myself! Thank you for posting this! Lynn

2. These are sooo cute. Love the idea. :)

3. Marianne said

Oh what a lovely idea! :)

4. mhdriver said

Jody, When someone gives me a like, I like to at least thank them for stopping by. So here it is thank you for stopping by. I love to walk on the beach but I don’t like to lie on the beach just to get a sun tan. I have for last 20 years been able to just park our motor home at the beach and stay awhile. When my wife was still working we take our motor home up to Ventura park a long side the ocean 3 weekends a month. Love your site. It is one of my favorite subjects. Jim

Jim, got it ;-) and thanks. We aren’t the suntan types either. Any day is a good day at the beach: misty, sunny, hot or cold. We like to amble along and just enjoy the views. Might be those negative ions I keep hearing about too.

Brings a whole new perspective to ‘life’s a beach’. :)

6. My favorite thing to do when I pass by a zen beach is to fill the bucket with sand using the shovel. Not sure why, but I like it! ;)

7. Fantastic idea. Now I can take a trip to the beach without having to leave home… :)

8. windhound said

My screensaver is my favourite Scottish beach and I start and end the day there with a virtual walk, hearing the waves, the wind and the seabirds and smelling the salt sweet air. The mini beach is a great idea and I’ll certainly pass this link on to my friends. Thanks for the likes and I will be sure to post more beaches in future Blogs. You are always welcome.

I love it. What a wonderful way to begin and end every day! I’ll be looking forward to more of your beach posts. Thanks so much for stopping by. :-)

9. this is just TOO adorable. Yes, I had the zen garden with the stones and the little rake, but this is way more to my liking!
    PS I thought i was already following you but I’ve never gotten your posts so I signed up again.
    I wish there were more good shelling beaches here in San Diego, but the last time i found any was at Trestles.
    T

10. eileensaunders said

Cute, cute, cute. I’ll be making one this weekend. But I have a big decision to make: which sand to use. I collect it from the beaches I’ve visited or lived on. If you’re ever planning a trip to Gulf Shores or Dauphin Island please contact me. I’d love to go shelling with you.

Yay, what a wonderful offer! I’m feeling very special. I will absolutely get ahold of you for beach time if I’m ever in the area! Thank you so much, Eileen!!