©2011-2014 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

Christmas with Sanibel Style

Posted by Jody on December 7, 2012

Island beaches, seashells, a lighthouse and Christmas! Does it get any better than this?

The Sanibel Island Light, Sanibel Island, Florida

The Sanibel Island Light, Sanibel Island, Florida

Christmastime ~ The Sanibel Island Light

Christmastime ~ The Sanibel Island Light

Merry Christmas on Sanibel Island, Florida

A Merry Christmas on Sanibel Island, Florida

The striking Sanibel Island Light stands on the eastern tip of Sanibel Island, Florida.  Located on the Gulf of Mexico, it was built to mark the entrance to San Carlos Bay to guide the ships calling at the port of Punta Rassa (across San Carlos Bay from Sanibel Island). The surrounding grounds are open to the public, but there is no entrance to the functioning lighthouse itself.

Seashell strewn Lighthouse Beach wraps from the Gulf side of Sanibel Island around to the bay side.  This area of the beach is very popular with beachcombers looking for “minis,”  the teeniest-tiniest of seashells. We’ve seen folks equipped with long surgical type tweezers patiently examining nearby seashell piles.

To find Sanibel Island Light  just turn left on Periwinkle Way from Causeway Road. Head all the way to the end of the road. Here you’ll also find a fishing pier and a boardwalk nature trail winding through the island’s native wetlands.  Facilities include restrooms and outdoor shower,  plenty of 24 hour paid parking in the large lot and fee-free bike racks. Pets must be kept on a leash around the lighthouse grounds, and on the beach.

Would you like more info on Sanibel’s world renowned shelling beaches? Here are just a few more posts on Sanibel Island:

Beachcombing? Shelling Regulations Abound. Know Before You Go!

Top Ten Florida Beaches for Seashells

Sanibel Island, Florida: A Beachcomber’s Bonanza

But wait, there’s more! :-) You might also want to type “Sanibel” into the search box (Treasure Hunt!) on the top left of this page.

Merry Christmas and Happy Beachcombing!

~~~~~~~~~

About these ads

28 Responses to “Christmas with Sanibel Style”

1. E.G.D. said

These pictures belong on Christmas cards!!!!!!!! Seriously, we need to find a way to re-open the store…

2. I’d sure love to spend Christmas on Sanibel Island. (And I agree. These would make great Christmas cards.)

3. Marianne said

You reminded me of a very pleasant holiday we had touring around Florida a few years ago. I couldn’t believe how many people were picking up seashells near to Sanibel Island.

I’m sorry to say that the Sanibel Island Light passed me by, though. Maybe that’s a good excuse to return someday :)

4. lynnwyvill said

I’ve always wanted to visit Sanibel Island. Now that I know they have “minis” I really want to go. Love the photos.

5. What a beautiful place, Jody. I want to be there right now. :)

6. You need to post a picture of some minis – I’m intrigued!

Ooooh. Great idea! I’ll see if I can photograph my smallest finds. I keep them safe in salt shakers.

Sorry to say, I don’t think I have anything that qualifies as a true “mini” in beachcomber terms. Some of my seashells from Sanibel Island are quite small but we’ve never done a search with tweezers. I will definitely bring some on our next visit!

7. Cristi M. said

Hello ! I’ve nominated you for Blog of the year award.Congrats !

8. You know I loved this post :)

Also want to let you know an award is waiting over here for you
    Eunice

9. Ah I would like to walk into those pictures and be there right now. :)

10. Lovely! And the seagrape leaves take me back to my youth in Miami. We had a very large tree and it was my chore to pick up the paper-plate-like leaves. I’m sure I picked up thousands of them all year long. :) Now they make me sentimental.

11. One of my dreams is Winter in Florida or anything tropical. This one just tops my list with the Christmas themed light house. Beautiful. Merry Christmas!!!