©2011-2014 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

A Sea Glass Treasure Trove – Surfside Beach (Texas Gulf Coast)

Posted by Jody on February 7, 2013

Surfside Beach, Texas

Surfside Beach, Texas

The Village of Surfside Beach, Texas, is a little bitty seaside hamlet located on the Gulf of Mexico. Fishing, birding, picnicking and kayaking are just a few of the choices beachgoers have when they visit the shores of this little coastal community.

This stretch of sandy beach on the Texas Coastal Bend is already well known for its wonderful shelling. In fact, according to Surfside’s website, there are 600 known shell species that can be found along the  27 miles of Brazoria County’s beaches. Our family searched and searched for those hundreds of types of seashells and did find many a fine specimen, but, sadly, quite a few had been broken to bits by the trucks and cars that are allowed on so much of this section of  Texas’s coastal beaches.

Surfside Beach, Texas

Surfside Beach, Texas

Never fear, though! All is certainly not lost. (It never is on a day at the beach!) In my book, Surfside Beach is one of the absolute best strands that I’ve ever come across for collecting sea glass!

Beach Treasures from Surfside Beach, Texas Gulf Coast

Beach Treasures from Surfside Beach, Texas Gulf Coast

Greens and blues, pinks and browns, lettered and patterned and smooth; all types of glass in every stage of sea-tumbledness can be found on the sands of Surfside Beach. I won’t share how I think the wave-worn beach glass originates, but I will site rule #11 from the village’s Beach Rules web page, which states: “NO GLASS CONTAINERS ON THE BEACH” (all caps). *This is a great place to caution you to wear shoes on this stretch of shoreline.* The vehicle traffic that easily crushes those 600 species of seashells also breaks glass into pieces which can result in some very sharp edges. Discrimination is the key. It can be very hard for kids of all ages to resist picking every beautiful, glittering, colorful beach treasure they see, so little ones need to be closely supervised here!

Evening Picnic at Surfside Beach, Texas

Evening Picnic at Surfside Beach, Texas

Before or after you’ve filled up your buckets and bags with sea glass and shells, you may want visit Surfside Beach’s Jetty Park which runs along the Freeport Jetties.  It has picnic areas, restrooms, a playground and fantastic views of the gulf and ship channel. You can walk the jetty, fish from the rocks, or simply settle in and watch the huge container ships come and go through the jetty channel.

Surfside Beach is located in Brazoria County, 15 minutes southeast of Lake Jackson, Texas where TX-332 meets TX-257 (Bluewater Highway).

Have a great day at the beach!

~~~~

About these ads

18 Responses to “A Sea Glass Treasure Trove – Surfside Beach (Texas Gulf Coast)”

1. Not another place I want to go? I am going to have to make a pilgrimage to all of these shell and glass meccas. I gotta get there before there aren’t any left!

You can tell the real beach-combers. They always find something. Great photos – I found myself looking for shells in the sand

You bet! It’s always fun to find whatever it is that each beach brings to us. Some of the Texas Gulf Coast beaches (a little farther west) have the best drift seeds. Now I just need to learn how to identify and polish those!

3. [...] of my favorite blogs Beach Treasures and Treasure beaches posted about the sea glass you can find along the Texas Gulf [...]

4. I lived in Austin for most of the nineties and now I wished I had visited this beach while I lived there. I usually went to Port Aransas and often took the jetty boat from there to the uninhabited San Jose Island to go shelling. Have ya’ll ever been there? Excellent shelling depending on the time of year.

Ooooh, thank you so much for the great tip! No, I have not been to San Jose Island but it’s certainly on my list now! ~We are actually looking at the possibility of moving to the Texas coast to rehydrate, beachcomb, and be nearer to family. :-)

5. loved it! Love the coastline of our country too :)

6. Definitely my sort of beach then!!

7. [...] was a lovely coincidence that I happened to be working on a new sea glass piece when Jody posted this. The last time I had chance to do a bit of beachcombing on the East Anglian coast it was slim [...]

8. What a beatiful seaside!!! It looks peaceful and relaxing. Collecting sea glass is also my favorite hobby. It has been a form of my exercise and relaxation.

9. data recovery said

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did
    you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer
    back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos

• E.G.D. said

Aloha, there. We built the website using a template (from wordpress) and personalized CSS code, as well as a healthy dose of Jody’s photographs. Good luck with your site- E.G.D.