©2011-2016 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

Honoring Memorial Day USA

Posted by Jody on May 26, 2013

“How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!”

~ Maya Angelou

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, Oregon Coast

Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site, Oregon Coast

The Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site overlooks the mouth of Yaquina Bay and its entrance into the Pacific Ocean. The property was given to the state by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1934 and 1971. It is a spruce and pine forested bluff containing an historic lighthouse, later used as a lifeboat station. The lighthouse has been restored and is open to the public. The park originally was developed for day use in 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The old lighthouse at the harbor entrance was erected in 1871 but was discontinued in 1874 in favor of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse several miles to the north. The Yaquina River is named for the Indian tribe that traditionally occupied the drainage territory. The adjoining city of Newport is a busy fishing and commercial port, very popular with summer travelers. In 1988, a Yaquina Bay State Park cooperative association was created by agreement with the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Division. The group provides information for visitors and tours of the lighthouse.

Source: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department

7 Responses to “Honoring Memorial Day USA”

1. Reblogged this on qwirkycrafter and commented:
    Happy Memorial Day to all my friends living in the USA, to those who serve, to those who sacrificed their own for all of us. To all the wives, children, brothers, and sisters who went without for us. Today we celebrate you not just in your homeland but everywhere. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. The Qwirky Crafter

Thanks for sharing our post! ~My husband served in the US Navy & I know what it means to be the wife and mom in a military family. I thank you so much for your very kind and heartfelt words.

2. mhdriver said

Jody thank you honoring the veterans. I too was in the Navy, naval air, for four years, mostly in San Diego. I also spent sometime in the Phillippines. I was very lucky that when I went in and by the time I came out there were no wars. I’m ashamed at the way are vets are being treated by the veterans assoc. thousand up on thousands have waited more than a year to get benefits that are due them. Enough of that.
    I love Newport we spent a few weeks there and photographed quite a bit of the area. Several years later, that is a year or so I ran into guy that lives across the street from all the crab traps down near the marina. There is an RV Park that over looks the ocean near there. that is were we stayed.

I agree with you 100%! Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate your stopping by. ~ I love Newport too! It’s such a friendly town with so many varied things to do and see. I’ll bet the RV park overlooking the ocean was fabulous!

& Thank you for your service! 🙂

3. Fossillady said

On Memorial Day I watched the new series on TV called “Vietnam in HD”. It truly personalizes the war era and brought back a lot of memories as a teenager watching the war drama unfold in the media. It’s an excellent series. Also, the movie “Glory” (a true story during the civil war) starring Mathew Broderick and Denzel Washington made me cry my heart out. We are lucky to have the freedom we do thanks to these brave men and women. Thanks for sharing, Kathi ♥