©2011-2017 Beach Treasures And Treasure Beaches.com.

I love a good mystery!

Posted by Jody on March 27, 2014

I just love finding pottery shards and stoneware bits on the beach! And I love a good mystery!

Put them together and we’ve got the perfect beach treasure mystery to solve:

Eva Dodsworth found this small piece of pottery on the beach 15 miles south of St. Augustine Beach, Florida, recently. She says: “I’m trying to figure out the history of it. It looks like it may be from the 1800s? I’m not too familiar with pottery patterns but my research shows that perhaps is British transferware?”

“Does anybody know? Thanks!”

A piece of pottery found a few miles south of St. Augustine during low tide at 29 42'17.59"N 81 3'29.18W. I'm thinking 1860s British Transferware?

“A piece of pottery found a few miles south of St. Augustine during low tide at 29 42’17.59″N 81 3’29.18W. I’m thinking 1860s British Transferware?”

Well, what do you think? Do you recognize this pattern? We’d love to hear from you!

12 Responses to “I love a good mystery!”

1. Interesting. I have no clue.

2. Jody said

Eva, it looks like it might be a bit of Vintage Johnson Bros Windsor Ware(?). I have a rather large cup and saucer reminiscent of this pattern in both color and style.

3. Marianne said

I hope you solve the mystery…certainly is lovely.

Blessings,
    Marianne

4. Marianne said

Yes, I hope you do get some help with the pattern mystery. I looked up some Vintage Johnson Bros Windsor Ware, and I agree it certainly does look like it could be a bit of that. Let me know what you find out.

Blessings for a lovely day,
    Marianne

5. I’d go along with ‘Victoriana’. But then again… RH

6. Eva said

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate your assistance. Some great suggestions!

7. Jody said

Posted by English Transferware on their Facebook page: “It definitely looks like transferware and very well be English. It looks like it might be an Aesthetic Movement shard. Fun find!” Many thanks to them for their help!